Saturday, March 26, 2011

A False Impression

What is that sound? I rub my eyes and sit up in my bed, listening intently to the sound that woke me. Birds! There are birds chirping outside! Everyone knows chirping birds in the midst of winter is a sign of good luck! I throw off my comforter, pull on a plastic glove, and peel back the sticky blinds from my painted-shut window. Sunlight streams in and dances around my room.

I think the Heavens are telling me to go outside today. What else could the delightful birds mean? I have been given a sign to explore the world today, but I must wait for three hours and thirty three minutes before I can leave my apartment. The time is 3:33. I pull out my bleach and begin to scrub the floors until I can leave.

At 7:06, I pull on my elbow-length rubber gloves, my surgical mask, and my pressed and cleaned outfit I have picked out for the day. I carefully position my Evil Eye necklaces before I take a deep breath and head down to the lobby.

I swing open the lobby door into the refreshingly warm, spring-like day, and I am instantly bombarded by a cacophony of soundtracks blasting throughout the neighborhood. I grab my Evil Eye jewelry, and I feel the urge to follow the noise.

I quickly make my way to a rundown carnival in a part of the neighborhood I have never seen before. What is going on here? I shudder as I move forward into the crowd, cringing away from the people, and I suddenly realize I have entered the carnival. A woman with flaming red hair pushes past me, running towards to microphone standing a few feet away from the fun house. She knocks me off balance, and I fall to the ground, ripping a hole in my right rubber glove. I jump to my feet and take thirty three steps away from the area. I can feel the germs crawling on me.

I need to get out of here. I look desperately for an exit, feeling the heat of the crowd pressing in on me. I clutch for my jewelry, and with a jolt of fear, I realize my Evil Eye collection is missing!


No comments:

Post a Comment